Insights & Articles
Navigating a Car Accident in Florida: A Guide for Ontario Residents
Ontario residents often venture to the sunny shores and warm weather of Florida for vacations or extended stays. While exploring the beautiful state, unforeseen events such as car accidents can occur, leaving individuals from Ontario unsure of the necessary steps to take. Understanding the protocols and procedures following a car accident in Florida is crucial for ensuring safety, well-being, and legal compliance. Here’s a guide for Ontario residents on what to do if they find themselves in a car accident while in Florida:
1. Prioritize Safety:
· Check for Injuries: Assess yourself and others involved in the accident for injuries. Contact emergency services immediately if medical attention is required.
· Move to Safety: If possible, move vehicles to the side of the road to prevent further accidents or traffic disruptions. Use hazard lights and warning triangles to alert other drivers.
2. Exchange Information:
· Exchange Details: Collect information from the other driver(s) involved, including names, contact information, insurance details, and vehicle registration.
· Document the Scene: Take photos of the accident scene, including vehicle damage, license plates, road conditions, and any relevant signage or signals.
3. Contact Law Enforcement:
· Report the Accident: In Florida, it’s essential to report the accident to law enforcement if there are injuries, deaths, or property damage exceeding $500. Request a copy of the police report.
4. Notify Your Insurance Company:
· Inform Your Insurer: Contact your insurance company in Ontario and report the accident. Provide them with the necessary details and documentation for the claim process.
5. Seek Medical Attention:
· Get Medical Help: Even if injuries seem minor, seek medical attention promptly. Keep records of all medical examinations and treatments for insurance claims.
6. Consult Legal Assistance in Florida AND ONTARIO:
· Seek Legal Advice in Florida: Consider consulting with a Florida-based attorney who specializes in car accidents. They can provide guidance on navigating the legal aspects and ensuring your rights are protected.
· Seek Legal Advice in Ontario: When you are in a collision out of the province you are still entitled to Accident Benefits. An Ontario lawyer can help you navigate this claims process. You may also need an Ontario lawyer to deal with a lawsuit. In the state of Florida many drivers have no or very limited third party liability insurance. This in turn means that you may have to involve your own insurance company in lawsuit which should be handled by an Ontario lawyer. In some cases you may need representation in both Ontario and Florida.
Encountering a car accident in Florida as an Ontario resident can be disorienting, but knowing the necessary steps to take is crucial. Prioritizing safety, exchanging information, involving law enforcement, and seeking appropriate medical and legal assistance are essential actions to ensure a smoother process in such an unfortunate event.
While this guide aims to offer a comprehensive overview, seeking professional advice from legal and insurance experts specific to Florida and Ontario laws and regulations is highly recommended. By being prepared and knowledgeable, Ontario residents can navigate the aftermath of a car accident in Florida with more confidence and clarity.
If you require assistance with any Personal Injury matter, speak to a Personal Injury Lawyer at McKenzie Lake Lawyers LLP by calling (519) 672-5666.