As a senior law professor at Western University, I've worked to ensure my students are fully informed in all aspects of law. I do the same with my clients.
Increasingly, business operations cross national and legal boundaries. In my 40-year career in commercial litigation, I've expanded my perspective by cultivating relationships in the international commercial arbitration community.
I have memberships in the Court of Arbitration for Sport, the Beijing Arbitration Commission, the London Court of International Arbitration and the Dubai International Arbitration Centre. I also have a seat in the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Council of Distinguished Advisors at Pepperdine University in Malibu, California. International organizations such as the Sports Law Institute at Marquette University, Basketball Arbitral Tribunal in Geneva, Switzerland, and the FIA International Court of Appeal (the governing body of Formula One Racing) have sought my expertise. Thankfully, I like to travel!
My wealth of international experience benefits my clients during litigation of international commercial disputes. Additionally, my practice includes:
A senior law professor at Western University, I also serve academia as a member of the Corporation of Huron University College, director of the Western Business Law Clinic, and as chairman emeritus of the Board of Governors Trinity College School. In 2011, Western Law established the Richard H. McLaren Visiting Professorship in Business Law to recognize my contributions to the school and the field.
Please contact me with questions regarding commercial litigation, commercial mediation, corporate and business law.
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Canadian Bar Association
- The Arbitrators Institute of Canada
- The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (UK)
- The National Academy of Arbitrators (US)
- The American Arbitration Association
- The London Court of International Arbitration
- Arbitration & Mediation Institute of Ontario
- International Court of Arbitration for Sport Panel of Arbitrators
- International Counsel for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA)
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- Commonwealth Lawyers Association
- Academy of Sports Law Practitioners & Executives
education and year of call
- Year of Call: 1974
- Chartered Arbitrator, Mediation and Arbitration Institute of Canada, 1989
- Master of Laws, University of London, 1972
- Bachelor of Laws, Western University Canada, 1971
- Business Administration (Hons.), Western University Canada, 1968